Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Demons...I mean Children


After the first session of Dry Gulch was over, it was a Wednesday.
Now understand, Wednesday off-day’s are particularly exciting in the realm of Dry Gulch because they are not only rare, but they also mean we get to go to church. Usually we are working during church services, so we end up watching a recording of the service as a staff whenever we are off, which is great, but it’s always more fun to be there live.
We had the choice that evening of either attending the youth service or the main service, and I chose main.
I enjoyed the service thoroughly. Not only was the message great (it was about brining creative thinking into all the different aspects of life to solve issues, just in case you were curious) but the pastor that night (Whit George) was also a former Dry Gulch counselor.
Fitting as it was, he shared a story with us about how he as a counselor used creative thinking to get all his campers to help him clean his bunk so that he did not have to do it alone the next day (which is now strictly forbidden, also in case you were wondering)

During the sermon he once said the phrase “Working with all of those little demons…I mean children can really be frustrating.”
Naturally, we all laughed. But just to myself, I thought about how I had never once considered any of my girls a “little demon” in any of my years. I assure you, I did have my trouble makers, but nothing a little discipline and a stern/loving talk could not fix.
Oh how that was about to change.

Last Thursday afternoon as I waited patiently in Bunk 12 for my twelve campers to arrive, I was blissfully unaware of the demons…I mean children, that were coming to me.
This dynamic group of loud personalities and expert disobeyers made me start singing “You never really know watcha got ‘till it’s gone” after about twenty minutes of association.
First the stuff. So much STUFF from their suitcases scattered all over the floor and all over their beds in an instant. See ya later clean bunk award (which I won first session with my lovely, clean, well behaved, Church on the Move girls)
Followed by the arguing. There were a million tattles and "she said"/"she did", always trying to overcome one another.
The attitude. Rolling of eyes, huff and puff, stomp, kick, yell, whine, complain. All clearly unacceptable.
Then comes the whole listening concept-it just didn’t ring a bell for them.
All of this together is what sufficiently classified them as “demons” to me. Therefore, I had to constantly remind myself to see them as God does, as “children”, beloved and precious, in need of Him in their lives.
 I had to remember every girl has a story (thank you Jessica McKennel) and not every girl has been raised to listen and behave the same way. 
But this doesn’t mean let everything go. This just meant I had to discipline in love. (1 John 4:18)
No matter how they were raised, they still knew right from wrong, therefore I couldn't tolerate any disobedience, especially after I gave clear instruction.
For example: At lunch one of my campers named Sinecia (who has an older brother named Miracle, two twin brothers at camp named Divine and Sincere (also demon children) and another older brother named Jerald....not kidding) wanted to drink her blue PowerAde before her mandatory cup of water. I gave her the benefit of the doubt and reminded her, we are drinking water first. Then she proceeded to pick up her PowerAde and drink it right in front of me. Bad move little one...
"Sinecia put the cup down and drink your water" (She gives me a side glance and turns away, continues to drink...I grab the cup out of her hands)
"You will drink your water now, and at the next activity you will be benched for 30 minutes for not obeying me."
You might think, "oh come on, it's just PowerAde, not a big deal." But if I had let that go then Sinecia wins, the child would have beat their authority, therefore learning to lack any respect for it.
Believe me, bringing out my stern reprimanding voice isn't my favorite, I would much rather use my crazy joyful one all the time. But respect for authority and direction is too important to let slide. I needed to nip the problem in the butt, no matter what it took.
So with the strength of God within me, (Phillipians 4:13) this is what I did: I benched like crazy, I took girls to the office, I took my bunk to the office, I gave them the “it’s not fun when you disobey” talk (several times), I had two lovely office ladies give my bunk a chat, and on the last night, I removed a girl from my bunk.
Whew. And now it’s done.
I am trusting in the LORD that the worst is over.

It was rough, but even through that I can still say God gave me a love for those girls. I am convinced it is because I was in prayer so much during the session; otherwise, they would have just been demons.
I am also convinced that God worked during the last session. Even though it was not extremely apparent (they all already had Jesus in their hearts) I know that at least a seed, if nothing else, was planted in those girls. Maybe a seed that will remind them they have power over sin (like not listening) because Jesus can give them the strength (we talked about this constantly), or maybe something else.
The session was always dedicated to God, (as they all should be) so I know he used me for His glory. That is just how God works.

And to share some evidence, as we were saying our goodbyes, each and every one of my girls cried. They said they loved and would miss me, so I guess God’s love did show through my discipline.
 (Thank you Jesus)
 As well, I found four sweet letters on my bed when I returned (which I will be keeping forever).

They really weren’t such demons after all.  :)

On to session three!


And here is a picture of my bunk twelve. (minus the camper who had to leave)
Does this camera only take really horrible and blurry pictures in a small window? Yes.
Will I be getting a new camera soon? You betcha.

1 comment:

  1. Children are singing your beautiful, pure melodies.
    They just need to do some warm-up vocals before show-time.

    Mel-mel. You are a rock-star.

    ReplyDelete