Friday, June 24, 2011

Benched


If counselors were allowed to be benched, it would be humiliating, but it might help keep me from messing up.

“Miss Melody” obviously has her plethora of mistakes as well.
Patience has recently been my issue.
I often find myself wanting to correct, but sometimes, using my “correcting” voice isn’t a good choice for this.

Like when my girls are out of their minds giggly and hyper at night time.
Inside my head I am screaming “BED BED BED MELODY, GET THEM IN BED. STOP THE TALKING. LIGHTS NEED TO GO OUT. THEY NEED TO SLEEP NOW.”
But communicating this aloud doesn’t register with the girls who are still laughing about the noise they can make with their awful goo bought at the general store.
 (Seriously, let me just take a moment to tell you all that this is my very least favorite invention of the moment.  I don’t know how to cure this curse…unless I buy out all the goo at the store….I may do some calculating)
Therefore, I am finding that letting them get more giggles out and gradually orchestrating a close works better for everyone.
I can play along with them for a bit, but then when it’s time to hit the switch, they feel satisfied about ending the game.
This is an art, and I’m hoping I’ll be able to master it soon.

Other than this, there are several other reasons a counselor would deserve some benching time.

Like for complaining-even if this coming session is another rowdy crowd, I’ve decided complaining is purely benching material-so I’m going to avoid it.

Or being a “fun-sucker”(Freaky Friday reference, for those who caught it)  I want camp to be fun for these girls, so I’m going to need to loosen my perfectionist style of discipline and communication some more. I want to make everything fun, even the waiting in line. This means CREATIVITY.
Too much order is just no fun, so I’ll have to be creative bring in some fun way to get things done, or else serve some time on the bench to think about it.

No, I won’t actually “bench” myself, but I am still going to use this concept inside my head.
Maybe I’ll tell my partner counselor about it and she can help me judge myself.

We’ll see how I do.

Session five starts NOW!

1 comment:

  1. the only thing you could be benched for is
    being too fantastic at all the right moments.

    mel-mel. your heart is as wide and deep as the ocean. press on. press on.

    ReplyDelete